Elliott is the UK’s leader in relocatable accommodation including portable cabins, modular buildings, permanent buildings, secure storage, portable toilets and temporary fencing from locations throughout the UK. We provide buildings for hire, modular buildings for sale and rent, and off-site permanent buildings for sale throughout the UK for temporary, semi-permanent and permanent use across a wide range of sectors.
We are part of the Algeco Scotsman Group who manage a fleet of more than 303,000 units, with operations in 37 countries and revenues in excess of $1.8 billion.
The company’s legacy is grounded in its reputation for exceptional customer service, effective management of business operations and consistent product innovation. Our global presence combined with local market expertise provides exemplary service tailored to meet the unique needs of customers throughout the world.
A brief history of Elliott
1963- Elliott Group Ltd started as Elliott’s of Peterborough and was formed to manufacture and sell mobile classrooms at a small factory in Peterborough. At the time the company was owned by Grimsdale & Son who were corn merchants. The success of the mobile classrooms was such that a corn mill at Congresbury, Bristol was changed from producing corn products and storage to classroom production. Another factory was opened at Tranent, south of Edinburgh to service Scotland and the north of England.
Production of classrooms in Peterborough was transferred to a large aircraft hangar at Polebrook, Northamptonshire that had been used by the USAF for B.29 bombers in the Second World War.
A term contract for Kent Education Authority was obtained and a workshop was purchased in March, Cambridgeshire to satisfy ever increasing demand for educational buildings.
The shortage of classrooms was increased due to the R.O.S.L.A. (Raising of the School Leaving Age) that extended full time education to the age of 16 years.
- 1968 - became a public limited company changing the name to the Elliott Group of Peterborough.
- 1976 - Medway Industries Ltd was acquired which manufactured post and panel buildings for the education market.
- 1982 - Jenks and Cattell plc (Falcon Industries plc) made a successful take-over bid for Elliott’s.
- 1983 - Acquisition of Austin Hall, which specialized in steel frame buildings.
- 1984 - Acquired Wyseplan, manufacturers of timber volumetric modules and site cabins at a factory in Bridlington.
- 1987 - Acquisition of Atkinson Workspace cabin fleet based in Wolverhampton.
- 1988 - Take-over by Godfrey Davis plc, which later became the Davis Service Group plc.
- 1989 - Godfrey Davis Portable Buildings Ltd was merged with the cabin and container fleet of Elliott to form Elliott Workspace.
- 1991 - Acquisition of Presco Buildings Ltd who manufacture stressed skin steel buildings and had built up a good hire fleet of steel cabins and steel modular buildings.
- 1999 - Acquisition of Strumech Engineering Ltd to add to Elliott’s growing range of products in the telecommunication market.
- 2000 - Acquired Redispace & Johnson Ltd who had built up a good reputation in the portable accommodation and secure storage market.
- 2001 - The operations of the former Redispace & Johnson joined with Elliott Workspace to form Elliotthire.
- 2002 - Acquisition of Porterplant Limited (now called Elliott Loohire) a toilet provider operating a fleet of over 6,000 toilets from its national network of 6 depots.
- 2005 - Elliott was acquired by Algeco, the European leader in modular space.
- 2007 - Acquisition of Wraith Accommodation, including Gamble Kitchen Rentals, that operate a range of portable accommodation, portable kitchens and catering equipment.
- 2007 - Acquired the assets of GE Modular Space UK that include Moduflex – an innovative product providing flexible design options in modular space.
- 2007 - Elliott becomes part of the Algeco Scotsman Group following the group’s acquisition of Williams Scotsman – the market leader in North America.
- 2010 - Acquired the assets of the Cabin Centre that includes a range of mobile welfare pods.
- 2011 - Elliott acquires the accommodation hire business of Speedy Hire.