Elliott ensures that its Environmental Management System (EMS) is implemented through good governance. As a multi product designer and builder we have an opportunity to put into effect robust, sustainable procedures for the design, procurement and construction of eco-friendly projects. These procedures address the design of the project and the specification of materials that have a low impact on the environment and the critical natural resources within it.
Our procurement methods address compliance with the EMS, in that, whilst cost is important, the quality and the source of that material are equally important. The use of naturally occurring material from non-renewable sources is being phased out. It is encouraged that materials from renewable sources are chosen instead. Our supply chain is asked for verification of the sources of their materials i.e. The Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC), their methods of work and power sources. The use of quarry dug construction aggregates is to be discouraged, the use of recycled aggregates (Crushed concrete etc) used instead. We work closely with Clients, other designers and planning authorities to complete our projects in an environmentally considered manner.
Our construction methodology combines modern methods of construction with the use of a high proportion of timber components resulting in structures that are inherently energy efficient and, with the benefit of robust detailing, able to achieve extremely high levels of air tightness and thermal insulation properties.
Elliott actively promotes Sustainable Development encouraging its suppliers and sub-contractors to:
- Manufacture all products taking into account ISO 14001 environment requirements and maintain leadership in the development of new products, where possible, procuring materials from sustainable sources.
- Support initiatives that benefit the environment.
- Meet and exceed all relevant environment legislation and introduce standards where legislation does not exist.
- Seek to reduce the consumption of raw materials in all operations through recycling and reuse.
- Educate and motivate their employers to work in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Periodically review environmental objectives and targets.
- Timber by-products can be recycled into other products eg. chipboard, eliminating waste.
- Timber construction achieves high levels of thermal efficiency.
- Construction methods are faster and more cost effective.
- Ground source heat pumps with bore holes driven 80m into the ground.
- Solar panels assisting domestic hot water.
- Rainwater harvesting.
To meet these responsibilities, environmental performance is monitored continually with regular audits and reviews to assess environmental performance against current best practice.
All of these functions have had a significant affect on the carbon footprint and some have even qualified for government special grants.
FSC® & PEFC
Did you know that Elliott is the first and only current supplier to be awarded FSC® (Forest Stewardship Council) and PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) chain of custody on its Building Regulations compliant rentable modular buildings?
This innovative concept of applying FSC® certification to an entire rentable fleet offers Elliott customers a guarantee that all wood based products have been derived from a well-managed source or from post-consumer waste.
Read more here.